First, why I compared the KJV to the ESV is because the ESV study Bible has received such high praise for being an excellent literal translation.
Second, in the Preface under “Translation Legacy” page 19, we read “The English Standard Version (ESV) stands in the classic mainstream of English Bible translations over the past half-millennium. The fountainhead of that stream was William Tyndale’s New Testament of 1526; marking the course were King James Version of 1611...” I understood this to mean that there would be a great similarity between the KJV and the ESV. What I found however, is that the ESV, is in the majority of the references, very similar or the same as the NIV. This I find difficult to reconcile with the statement made in reference to the KJV.
Third what motivated me to further compare the ESV to the KJV, was the very high praise that the ESV has received from so many people who are well versed in the field of bible translations. For example, John Piper calls it “a dream come true”? Please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlFsBdEkxMQ
Fourth what motivated me to examine the ESV Study Bible was what I read in the Introduction under the subtitle “Divine Words and Merely Human Words”, where it is written “The ESV Study Bible contains two kinds of words. The first kind is the actual of the Bible, which are the very words of God to us. These are printed in the larger font of each page. The second kind is the study notes, which are merely human words” page 9.
The problem is knowing which group of words to trust. The first group of words “the very words of God to us” in the ESV have so many omissions compared to the KJV that it creates serious doubt, not trust. If there are so many omissions in “the very words of God” in the ESV, how can we have confidence in the ‘words of men, in the explanation?
Before we accept this translation as “a dream come true” we need to examine the ESV bible carefully and ponder the words of Jesus, “And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you”.
1) The following examples are from the New Testament only.
2) This is not an exhaustive study.
Comparing the KJV to the ESV and NIV (listed in this order)
Please note: all words missing in the ESV OR NIV are highlighted in BOLD underlined in the KJV.
Gospel of Matthew
1) Mt. 1:25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
ESV1:25 but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus.
NIV1:25 But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.
2) Mt. 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
ESV5:22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
NIV5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.
3) Mt. 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hateyou, and pray for them whichdespitefully use you, and persecute you;
ESV 5:44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
NIV 5:44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
4) Mt. 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
ESV 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
NIV 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one
5) Mt. 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
ESV 6:27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
NIV 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
6) Mt. 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
ESV 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
NIV 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
7) Mt. 8:2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.
ESV8:2 And behold, a leper came to him and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.”
NIV 8:2 A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean."
8) Mt. 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
ESV 8:29 And behold, they cried out, “What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?”
NIV 8:29 "What do you want with us, Son of God?" they shouted. "Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?"
9) Mt. 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
ESV9:13 Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
NIV 9:13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
10) Mt. 9:18 While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live.
ESV 9:18 While he was saying these things to them, behold, a ruler came in and knelt before him, saying, “My daughter has just died, but come and lay your hand on her, and she will live.”
NIV 9:18 While he was saying this, a ruler came and knelt before him and said, "My daughter has just died. But come and put your hand on her, and she will live."
11) Mt. 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
ESV 12:35 The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil.
NIV 12:35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.
12) Mt. 12:47Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
ESV 12:47 verse missing
NIV 12:47 Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you."
13) Mt. 13:51 Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord.
ESV 13:51 “Have you understood all these things?” They said to him, “Yes.”
NIV 13:51 "Have you understood all these things?" Jesus asked. "Yes," they replied.
14) Mt. 15:6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
ESV15:6 he need not honor his father.’ So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God.
NIV15:6 he is not to ‘honor his father’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.
15) Mt. 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
ESV15:8 “This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;
NIV15:8 "’These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.
16) Mt, 15:25 Then came she andworshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
ESV 15:25 But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.”
NIV 15:25 25 The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.
17)Mt. 16:3 And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O yehypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?
ESV 16:3 And in the morning, ‘It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
NIV 16:3 and in the morning, ’Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
18) Mt. 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
ESV 16:20 Then he strictly charged the disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ.
NIV 16:20 Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.
19) Mt. 17:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
ESV 17:21 Whole verse is missing.
NIV 17:21 Whole verse is missing.
20) Mt. 18:11For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
21) Mt. 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
ESV 19:9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”
NIV 19:9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."
22) Mt. 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
ESV 19:17 And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”
NIV Mt.19:17 "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
23) Mt. 20:7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.
ESV20:7 They said to him, ‘Because no one has hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You go into the vineyard too.’
NIV 20:7 "’Because no one has hired us,’ they answered. "He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’
24) Mt. 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.
ESV 20:16 So the last will be first, and the first last.”
NIV 20:16 "So the last will be first, and the first will be last."
25) Mt. 20:20 Then came to him the mother of Zebedee’s children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.
ESV20:20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came up to him with her sons, and kneeling before him she asked him for something.
NIV 20:20 Then the mother of Zebedee’s sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favor of him.
26) Mt. 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him,
We are able.
ESV20:22 Jesus answered, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am to drink?” They said to him, “We are able.
NIV20:22 "You don’t know what you are asking," Jesus said to them. "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?" "We can," they answered.
27) Mt. 21:44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
ESV 21:44 And the one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him.”
NIV 21:44 He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed."
28) Mt. 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
ESV 23:14 Verse missing.
NIV 23:14 Verse missing.
29) Mt. 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, andpestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
ESV24:7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
NIV 24:7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
30) Mt. 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. Note ‘my’ is changed to (the) in the ESV and NIV
ESV24:36 “But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but (the) Father only.
NIV 24:36 "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only (the) Father.
31) Mt. 25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
ESV 25:13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.
NIV 25:13 Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.
32) Mt 27:34 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.
ESV 27:34 they offered him wine to drink, mixed with gall, but when he tasted it, he would not drink it.
NIV 27:34 There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it.
33) Mt. 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.
ESV 27:35 And when they had crucified him, they divided his garments among them by casting lots.
NIV 27:35 When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
34) Mt. 28:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
ESV 28:2 And behold, there was a great earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone and sat on it.
NIV 28:2 There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it.
35) Mt. 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
ESV 28:9 And behold, Jesus met them and said, “Greetings!” And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him.
NIV 28:9 Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him.
Gospel of Mark
1) Mk. 1:31 And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them.
ESV1:31 And he came and took her by the hand and lifted her up, and the fever left her, and she began to serve them.
NIV 1:31 So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them.
2) Mk 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
ESV2:17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
NIV 2:17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
3) Mk. 3:15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:
ESV3:15 and have authority to cast out demons.
NIV 3:15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils * same as KJV
4) Mk. 5:6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshiped him,
ESV 5:6 And when he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and fell down before him.
NIV 5:6 When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him.
5) Mk. 6:11 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
ESV 6:11 And if any place will not receive you and they will not listen to you, when you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.”
NIV 6:11 And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them."
6) Mk. 6:51 And he went up unto them into the ship; and the wind ceased: and they were sore amazed in themselves beyond measure, and wondered.
ESV6:51 And he got into the boat with them, and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded,
NIV 6:51 Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed,
7) Mk. 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
ESV7:8 You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.”
NIV 7:8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men."
8) Mk. 8:26 And he sent him away to his house, saying, Neither go into the town, nor tell it to any in the town.
ESV8:26 And he sent him to his home, saying, “Do not even enter the village.”
NIV 8:26 Jesus sent him home, saying, "Don’t go into the village."
9) Mk. 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.
ESV9:29 And he said to them, “This kind cannot be driven out by anything but prayer.”
NIV9:29 He replied, "This kind can come out only by prayer."
10) Mk. 9:44Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
NIV 9:44 missing
11) Mk. 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell,into the fire that never shall be quenched:
ESV9:45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell
NIV 9:45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.
12) Mk. 9:46Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
ESV 9:46 missing
NIV 9:46 missing
13) Mk. 9:49 For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.
ESV 9:49 For everyone will be salted with fire.
NIV 9:49 Everyone will be salted with fire.
14) Mk. 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
ESV 10:21 And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
NIV 10:21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
15) Mk. 10:24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in richesto enter into the kingdom of God!
ESV 10:24 And the disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said to them again, “Children, how difficult it is to enter the kingdom of God!
NIV 10:24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!
16) Mk. 11:26But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
ESV 11:26 verse missing.
NIV 11:26 verse missing
17) Mk. 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:
ESV13:14 “But when you see the abomination of desolation standing where it ought not to be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
NIV 13:14 "When you see ‘the abomination that causes desolation’ standing where it does not belong— let the reader understand— then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
18) Mk. 13:33 Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.
ESV13:33 Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come.
NIV 13:33 Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.
19) Mk. 14:24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.
ESV14:24 And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.
NIV 14:24 "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many," he said to them.
20) Mk. 15:28And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors.
NIV 15:28 missing.
Gospel of Luke
1) Lk. 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
ESV1:28 And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!”
NIV 1:28 The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."
2) Lk. 2:22 And when the days of her (changed to ‘their’) purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord;
ESV 2:22 And when the time came for their purification according to the Law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord
NIV 2:22 When the time of their purification according to the Law of Moses had been completed, Joseph and Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord
3) Lk 2:33 And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.
ESV 2:33 And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him.
NIV 2:33 The child’s father and mother marveled at what was said about him.
4) Lk. 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
ESV4:4 And Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone.”’
NIV 4:4 Jesus answered, "It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone.’"
5) Lk. 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
ESV4:8 And Jesus answered him, “It is written, “‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.”’
NIV4:8 Jesus answered, "It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’"
6) Lk. 8:48 And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace
ESV8:48 And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.”
NIV 8:48 Then he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace."
7) Lk. 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.
ESV 9:55 But he turned and rebuked them.
NIV 9:55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them,
8) Lk. 9:56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.
ESV9:56 And they went on to another village.
NIV 9:56 and they went to another village.
9) Lk. 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
ESV 10:19 Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you.
NIV10:19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.
10) Lk 11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
ESV11:2 And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come.
NIV 11:2 He said to them, "When you pray, say: "’Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come.
11) Lk. 11:54 Laying wait for him, and seeking to catch something out of his mouth, that they might accuse him.
ESV11:54 lying in wait for him, to catch him in something he might say
NIV 11:54 waiting to catch him in something he might say.
12) Lk.22:64 And when they had blindfolded him, they struck him on the face, and asked him, saying, Prophesy, who is it that smote thee?
ESV22:64 They also blindfolded him and kept asking him, “Prophesy! Who is it that struck you?”
NIV22:64 They blindfolded him and demanded, "Prophesy! Who hit you?"
13) Lk. 22:68 And if I also ask you, ye will not answer me, nor let me go.
ESV 22:68 and if I ask you, you will not answer.
NIV 22:68 and if I asked you, you would not answer.
14 Lk. 23:17For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.
15) Lk. 23:23 And they were instant with loud voices, requiring that he might be crucified. And the voices of them and of the chief priests prevailed.
ESV23:23 But they were urgent, demanding with loud cries that he should be crucified. And their voices prevailed.
NIV23:23 But with loud shouts they insistently demanded that he be crucified, and their shouts prevailed.
16) Lk. 23:42 42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
ESV 23:42 And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
NIV 23:42 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
17) Lk. 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
ESV24:1 But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared.
NIV 24:1 On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.
18) Lk. 24:42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
ESV 24:42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish,
NIV 24:42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish,
Gospel of John
1) Jn.1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
ESV 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the
only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
NIV1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
2) Jn. 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
ESV 1:18 No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father’s side, he has made him known.
NIV 1:18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father’s side, has made him known.
3) Jn. 1:27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe’s latchet I am not worthy to unloose.
ESV1:27 even he who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie.
NIV 1:27 He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie."
4) Jn 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
ESV3:13 No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man.
NIV3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven— the Son of Man.
5) Jn. 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
ESV 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him, but have eternal life.
NIV 3:15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
6) Jn. 5:4For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
7) Jn. 5:16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
ESV5:16 And this was why the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because he was doing these things on the Sabbath.
NIV5:16 So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jews persecuted him.
8) Jn. 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
ESV 5:30 “I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.
NIV 5:30 By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.
9) Jn. 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
ESV 6:47 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. “Does it matter ‘on whom’ we believe”?
NIV 6:47 I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. “Believes what or who”?
10)Jn. 6:69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
ESV6:69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God
NIV 6:69 We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."
11) Jn. 7:8 Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.
ESV 7;8 You go up to the feast. I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come.”
ESV 7:10 But after his brothers had gone up to the feast, then he also went up, not publicly but in private.
(If we compare ESV verse 8 to verse 10 does this make Jesus a liar? How could this be?)
NIV 7:8 You go to the Feast. I am not yet going up to this Feast, because for me the right time has not yet come."
12) Jn. 8:9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
ESV8:9 But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.
NIV 8:9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.
13) Jn. 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
ESV 8:59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.
NIV 8:59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.
14) Jn. 11:41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
ESV11:41 So they took away the stone. And Jesus lifted up his eyes and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me.
NIV 11:41 So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me.
15) Jn.16:16 A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me, because I go to the Father.
ESV16:16 “A little while, and you will see me no longer; and again a little while, and you will see me
NIV16:16 "In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me."
16) Jn. 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
ESV 17:12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.
NIV 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
1) Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise upChrist to sit on his throne;
ESV2:30 Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne,
NIV2:30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne.
2) Acts 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his SonJesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.
ESV3:26 God, having raised up his servant, sent him to you first, to bless you by turning every one of you from your wickedness
NIV3:26 When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."
3) Acts 7:37 This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.
ESV7:37 This is the Moses who said to the Israelites, ‘God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers
NIV 7:37 "This is that Moses who told the Israelites, ‘God will send you a prophet like me from your own people.’
4) Act. 8:37And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
NIV 8:37 missing
5) Acts 9:5-6 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
ESV9:5-6 And he said, “Who are you, Lord?” And he said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.
NIV9:5-6 "Who are you, Lord?" Saul asked. "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting," he replied.
6 "Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do."
6) Acts 10:30 And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,
ESV 10:30 And Cornelius said, “Four days ago, about this hour, I was praying in my house at the ninth hour, and behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing
NIV 10:30 Cornelius answered: "Four days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me
7) Acts 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
ESV15:18 known from of old.
NIV 15:18 that have been known for ages
8) Acts 23:9 And there arose a great cry: and the scribes that were of the Pharisees’ part arose, and strove, saying, We find no evil in this man: but if a spirit or an angel hath spoken to him, let us not fight against God.
ESV23:9 Then a great clamor arose, and some of the scribes of the Pharisees’ party stood up and contended sharply, “We find nothing wrong in this man. What if a spirit or an angel spoke to him?”
NIV23:9 There was a great uproar, and some of the teachers of the law who were Pharisees stood up and argued vigorously. "We find nothing wrong with this man," they said. "What if a spirit or an angel has spoken to him?"
9)Acts 28:29And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves.
NIV 28:29 missing
1) Rom. 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
ESV 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
NIV 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
2) Rom. 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
ESV 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
NIV 8:1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus
3) Rom. 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
ESV10:15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”
NIV 10:15 And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"
4) Rom. 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
ESV 14:21 It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.
NIV 14:21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.
5) Rom. 15:29 And I am sure that, when I come unto you, I shall come in the fulness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.
ESV 15:29 I know that when I come to you I will come in the fullness of the blessing of Christ.
NIV 15:29 I know that when I come to you, I will come in the full measure of the blessing of Christ.
6) Rom. 16:24The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
ESV 16:24 missing
1) 1Cor. 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
ESV 5:7 Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.
NIV 5:7 Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast— as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.
2) 1 Cor. 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
ESV 7:5 Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self–control.
NIV 7:5 Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control
3) 1Cor. 9:18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
ESV 9:18 What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.
NIV 9:18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it.
4) 1Cor. 10:28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord’s, and the fulness thereof:
ESV10:28 But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience–
NIV 10:28 But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience’ sake—
5) 1Cor. 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
ESV 11:24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”
NIV 11:24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me."
6) 1Cor. 15:47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
ESV15:47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.
NIV 15:47 The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven.
1) Gal. 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
ESV3:1 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified.
NIV 3:1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified.
2) Gal. 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
ESV3:17 This is what I mean: the law, which came 430 years afterward, does not annul a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to make the promise void.
NIV3:17 What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise.
3) Gal. 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
ESV 4:7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.
NIV4:7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.
4) Gal. 6:15Forin Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
ESV6:15 For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation.
NIV 6:15 Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation.
5) Gal. 6:17 From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.
ESV 6:17 From now on let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.
NIV 6:17 Finally, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.
1) Eph. 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
ESV3:9 and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things,
NIV 3:9 and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.
2) Eph. 3:14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
ESV3:14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father,
NIV 3:14 For this reason I kneel before the Father,
3) Eph. 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and inyou all.
ESV4:6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. (New Age?)
NIV4:6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. (New Age?)
4) Eph. 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
ESV5:30 because we are members of his body.
NIV5:30 for we are members of his body.
5) Eph. 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
ESV6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.
NIV 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
1) Phil. 3:16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
ESV3:16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained.
NIV 3:16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
2) Phil. 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
ESV 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
NIV 4:13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
1) Col. 1:2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
ESV 1:2 To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father.
NIV1:2 To the holy and faithful brothers in Christ at Colosse: Grace and peace to you from God our Father.
2) Col. 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
ESV1:14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
NIV1:14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
3) Col. 1:28 28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
ESV1:28 Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ.
NIV1:28 We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ.
4) Col. 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
ESV 2:11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
NIV 2:11 In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ,
5) Col. 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
ESV. 2:18 Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind
NIV 2:18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions.
6) Col. 3:6 For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
ESV 3:6 On account of these the wrath of God is coming.
NIV 3:6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.
1) 1 Thes. 1:1 Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
ESV 1:1 Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace.
NIV 1:1 Paul, Silas and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace and peace to you.
2) 1 Thes. 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
ESV 2:19 For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you?
NIV 2:19 For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you?
3) 1Thes. 3:11 Now God himself and our Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our way unto you.
ESV 3:11 Now may our God and Father himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to you,
NIV 3:11 Now may our God and Father himself and our Lord Jesus clear the way for us to come to you.
4) 1 Thes. 3:13 To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.
ESV 3:13 so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.
NIV 3:13 May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones.
2 Thes.1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
ESV 1:8 in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
NIV 1:8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
1) 1Tim. 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
ESV 1:17 To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
NIV 1:17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
2) 1Tim. 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.
ESV 2:7 For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.
NIV 2:7 And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle — I am telling the truth, I am not lying — and a teacher of the true faith to the Gentiles.
3) 1Tim. 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
ESV 4:12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.
NIV 4:12 Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
4) 1Tim. 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
ESV6:5 and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.
NIV 6:5 and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.
Heb. 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
ESV10:30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.”
NIV 10:30 For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."
Js. 5:16 Confess your faultsone to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (faults changed to sins)
ESV Js. 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
NIV Js. 5:16 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
1) 1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
ESV4:1 Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,
NIV 4:1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.
2) 1Pet. 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
ESV 4:14 If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.
NIV4:14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.
3) 1 Pet. 5:11 To him be gloryand dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
ESV 5:11 To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
NIV 5:11 11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.
1) 2Pet. 2:17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.
ESV2:17 These are waterless springs and mists driven by a storm. For them the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved.
NIV2:17 These men are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them.
2) 2Pet. 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering tous-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
ESV 3:9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
NIV 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
3) 2 Pet. 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
ESV3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.
NIV3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.
1) 1 Jn. 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
ESV 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
NIV 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
2) 1 Jn. 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
ESV 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.
NIV4:3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
3) 1 Jn. 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
ESV 4:9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him.
NIV 4:9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.
4) 1 Jn 5:7-8 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
8And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
ESV 5:7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree.
NIV5:7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.
5) 1 Jn. 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
ESV 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.
NIV 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
1) Rev. 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
ESV1:8 I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”
NIV 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."
2) Rev. 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
ESV1:11 saying, “Write what you see in a book and send it to the seven churches, to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.
NIV 1:11 which said: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea."
3) Rev. 2:13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
ESV 2:13 “‘I know where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. Yet you hold fast my name, and you did not deny my faith even in the days of Antipas my faithful witness, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.
NIV 2:13 I know where you live— where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me, even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city— where Satan lives.
4) Rev. 5:14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshiped him that liveth for ever and ever.
ESV 5:14 And the four living creatures said, “Amen!” and the elders fell down and worshiped.
NIV 5:14 The four living creatures said, "Amen," and the elders fell down and worshiped.
5) Rev. 11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
ESV 11:17 saying, “We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, who is and who was, for you have taken your great power and begun to reign.
NIV11:17 saying: "We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign.
6) Rev. 6:1 And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.
ESV 6:1 Now I watched when the Lamb opened one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures say with a voice like thunder, “Come!”
NIV 6:1 I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come!"
7) Rev. 11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
ESV 11:17 saying, “We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, who is and who was, for you have taken your great power and begun to reign. Is Christ not eternal?
NIV 11:17 saying: "We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign. Is Christ not eternal?
8) Rev. 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
ESV 12:17 Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea.
NIV 12:17 Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to make war against the rest of her offspring— those who obey God’s commandments and hold to the testimony of Jesus.
9) Rev. 14:5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.
ESV 14:5 and in their mouth no lie was found, for they are blameless.
NIV 14:5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.
10) Rev.16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.
ESV 16:5 And I heard the angel in charge of the waters say, “Just are you, O Holy One, who is and who was, for you brought these judgments. Denial of The Eternality Future?
NIV 16:5 Then I heard the angel in charge of the waters say: "You are just in these judgments, you who are and who were, the Holy One, because you have so judged; Denial of The Eternality Future?
11) Rev. 16:17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.
ESV 16:17 The seventh angel poured out his bowl into the air, and a loud voice came out of the temple, from the throne, saying, “It is done!”
NIV 16:17 The seventh angel poured out his bowl into the air, and out of the temple came a loud voice from the throne, saying, "It is done!"
12) Rev. 20:9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
ESV 20:9 And they marched up over the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, but fire came down from heaven and consumed them,
NIV 20:9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them.
13) Rev. 21:24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
ESV21:24 By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it
NIV 21:24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it.
May God help us to be true Bereans who “…search the scriptures daily, whether these things were so” Acts. 17:11
For further information on Bible Translation see:
1) “The Bible Version” Question/Answer Database by David Cloud, Published by Way of Life Literature, Bethel Baptist Church, 4212 Campbell St. N., London, ON N6P 1A6
2) Myths about the Modern Versions, by David W. Cloud, Published by Way of Life Literature, Bethel Baptist Church, 4212 Campbell St. N., London, ON N6P 1A6 Phone 519-652-2619 (e-mail) email@example.com
3) Touch Not The Unclean Thing, The Text Issue and Separation, by David H. Sorenson 2001. Northstar Baptist Ministries, 1820 West Morgan Street, Duluth, MN 5581 USA
4) Defending The King James Bible, Third Revised Edition Pastor D. A. Waite, Th. D., Ph. D. 2006 Published By The Bible For Today Press , 900 Park Avenue Collingwood, New Jersey 08108, USA
Psalm. 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Submitted 9/10/2011 11:43:40 PM | Author: Art K. ... A Ministry In His Service